|The LeBlanc Literacy Challenge, or LLC, is a nationwide effort to promote literacy across all age groups.
How did LLC begin?
"Two years ago, while on a national book tour, I had the opportunity to visit numerous bookstores and chat with some of their customers. Unfortunately, it didn't take me long to realize that many of those customers were in the bookstore because of the coffee shop. Many of them would browse for a while, flip through a magazine or two, but many of them left the store empty handed. Whenever I asked one of these coffee only browsers, 'Who's your favorite author?' or 'What do you enjoy reading?' the most common response I received was, 'Oh, I don't read much anymore.' Even worse, if they were under the age of twenty-five, the response was usually, 'I don't like to read.' They were in the bookstore to hang out with friends.
To say I was disheartened by this seemingly endless tide of 'non-readers' would be a gross understatement. So I decided to do something about it.
That's when the LeBlanc Literacy Challenge was born. It's purpose? To get more people reading!"
Who's taking the Challenge?
Our entries for 2007 included a wide variety of ages from several states nationwide and Canada. Several high schools actually hosted Deborah last year to lecture on literacy and promote the challenge to their students. As the news has spread, many more schools are getting involved and Deborah will be presenting a literacy lecture tour to high schools in 2008 as well.
How can I get involved?
There are many ways you can get involved:
- Sign up and get started with the quizzes…you could be $5,000 richer this year!
- This year, we are offering an additional grand prize of $5,000 to the high school with the highest percentage of student participants. Encourage any high school student that you know to take the challenge to work towards winning the prize for their school.
- Host Deborah to speak at your local high school. If you are interested in having Deborah as a speaker at your local high school, email her at Deborah@deborahleblanc.com with the following information:
- High school name
- High school address
- High school phone number and website (if applicable)
- Principal's name
- Your name and phone number