Literacy Inc.’s National Writing Challenge is designed to encourage students between the ages of 13 and 19 to practice and develop their
writing skills. According to the National Endowment for the Arts Executive Summary, To Read or Not to Read: A Question of National
Consequence, 81% of employers rate job entrants as deficient in written communication. Our Writing Challenge is designed to encourage
students to write by merging excitement with writing through concrete, valuable incentives. The prizes in the Writing Challenge include:
And the winners of the 2008-2009 National Writing Challenge are:
- $1000 in cash for first place
- $250 book store gift certificate for second place
- $200 book store gift certificate for third place
- $150 book store gift certificate for fourth place
- $100 book store gift certificate to fifth place
1st Place – Thomas Gifford –(14 yrs old) Shreveport, La.
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE WINNERS!
2nd Place – Marissa Newfounder (16 yrs old) Wichita, Ks.
3rd Place – Kyle Useman – Salt Lake City, Ut.
4th Place – Kevin Mathews—Kansas City, Mo.
5th Place – Alicia Rhodes – Atlanta, Georgia